– Obsession with video games (consoles, phones, computers, etc.) means a
strong dependence on them that is described by an activity that takes up a lot
of the time in the life of the person that he continues practicing despite
having negative effects on him. Some of the issues that parents and educators
should be look for are:
- He gives the impression to be absorbed by playing, not answering when spoken to;
- Feels too much stress and even tightness the jaws when playing;
- Doesn’t look away from the television or the screen;
- Begins to lose interest in other activities that were once practiced;
- Sleep disorder;
- Increased estrangement from family and friends;
- Problems with studies;
- Doesn’t respect the stipulated schedules.
The causes of video game addiction are very diverse, but we can point to the following:
- Dependent Personality: there are people whose personalities are more susceptible to vices than others.
- Family problems (miscommunication, misunderstanding, dramatic separations, little child dedication for work reasins…)
- School/Social problems. Poor integration in a crowd of people, loneliness, school demotivation.
We are not saying that video games are a threat by themselves, since everything depends on the use and control exercised over them. Therefore, addictions are not focused on the game itself, but in the uncontrolled and abusive way that may occur. Some recommendations for parents or educators are:
- Perform together with the children a schedule that can be evenly distributed over time;
- Propose new activities that are of interest;
- Using video games as a "compensation” for the successful completion of their work, showing that the study comes first.
Finally, some parents may need to enlist help of a professional with whom they can receive all the help they need to disengage from the console, which does not mean to totally playing video games.